For an online casino establishment to be approved and deemed secure, the operator must be in possession of a license by an accredited gaming authority. Reference to this license must visibly appear on the casino’s site, with a clickable link and readable license number. The majority of our recommended online casinos are licensed by the Lotteries & Gaming Authority in Malta, Gibraltar, Isle of Man and the UK Gambling commission.
Software drives an online casino’s games and “back office”, so essentially it is the engine that powers it. Reputable software providers such as the ones that drive our recommended sites, are certified and continuously tested by third party auditing bodies, to ensure safe and fair play. Examples of such providers include Playtech, Microgaming, NetEnt, 888, Aristocrat, BetSoft, RTG, and NextGen Gaming.
Blacklisted and rogue casinos are casinos that need to be avoided at all cost, for very good reasons. These include things like bad payment history, false advertising, dodgy bonus terms, suspicious software, and mail spamming. Sub-par casinos are regularly pointed out either through player review forums or dedicated gambling watchdog sites, so players have no excuse not to be informed.
Casino Terms & Conditions
At the end of the registration process with an online casino, you will be expected to agree to that casino’s terms and conditions. It is vital that you do not simply tick the “I agree” box, and move forward, but actually take the time to carefully read through the terms first. Here are some important things to look out for:
- First make sure the terms and conditions are actually available, if it is not readily accessible you may want to consider playing elsewhere.
- Check for age- and country restrictions.
- Take note of special exclusions.
- Watch out for unfair playing terms – like being forced to take a promotion.
- Last but not least, clearly understand the terms and conditions surrounding bonuses and other promotions – for example, what are the wagering requirements attached? Are they reasonably attainable? This could mean the difference between a fantastic and nasty gambling experience!