Before getting the game started, players need to decide how much they wish to wager, and how. For example, players can bet on:
- The ball landing on an even or odd number
- The ball landing on black or white
- The ball landing on a figure between one and 12
- The ball landing within a specific column of figures on the roulette table
- The ball landing in a black or red pocket
- The ball landing between the black and red pocket
- The ball landing in the green 0/00 pocket
Bets are made as either inside or outside bets, and works as follows:
With inside bets you bet a number straight up, or you can select your winning combo by overlapping between numbers. The following inside bets can be placed:
- Straight up. Bet on a single number, and the payout is 35 to 1
- Split Bet. Bet on two numbers. You do this by placing your chip on the line so it covers two numbers. Payout is 17 to 1
- Street / Line Bet. Place chip on vertical line that separates the inside and outside betting area, and the chip overlaps the first number in the row. Payout is 11 to 1
- Corner / Quad Bet. Place chip so that it covers the four corners of the numbers you are wagering on. Payout is 8 to 1
- Basket Bet. A five number bet on 0/00/1, 2 and 3. Payout is 6 to 1
- Double Street Bet. A six number bet. Place chip on the line separating the inside and outside betting area as with the street bet, but also cover the row above / below.
These are any bets made from within the boxes that surround the numbers. The following outside bets can be placed:
- Even Money Bet. Place chips in red /black odd or even boxes
- Dozens bet. These are made on any of the 12 successive numbers. Place chip in the box marked either 1 – 12, 13 – 24, or 25 – 36. Payout is 2 to 1. Players lose if 0/00 comes up
- Column Bets. These are made on the 12 numbers vertically columned x 3, and chips are placed in the boxes provided at the bottom of the layout. Payout is also 2 to 1
Once bets are placed the wheel is spun, and your fate determined once the ball lands.
Whether or not Roulette strategies are effective is debatable. In theory they could work… if it weren’t for the randomness of the game. Ultimately chance cannot be beaten but you can maximize your winning streak by considering the following points:
- Only place even money bets / outside bets. These include black/red, even/odd and numbers 1 -18 & 19 - 36
- Allow yourself enough time to try different strategies by betting within your bankroll
- Remember that no strategy in the world can predict random numbers, but you can use the randomness to your benefit. In a nutshell: If you lose, double your bet. Halve it if you win
Tips for Playing Roulette Online
- Play smart by increasing your odds on inside bets. Place your chips so that several numbers are covered within a single bet.
- European Roulette offer higher odds of winning
- Improve your online game by practicing in land based casinos
- Opt for multiplayer roulette, and learn from others while you play
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Know how the wheel works before playing for real money
- Always keep aside a portion of your winnings, so that you don’t risk walking away empty handed
- Only ever play at respectable online casinos.
Roulette Game Reviews: American Roulette review | French Roulette